STSA is currently accepting applications for two scholarships available for medical students, general surgery residents, and cardiothoracic surgery residents training at an institution in the STSA region. Applications from students and residents training outside of the STSA region but who are nominated by an STSA member will also be considered.
Second, third, and fourth year medical students interested in pursuing a career in cardiothoracic surgery can apply for the James W. Brooks Medical Student Scholarship. This award is named for Jim Brooks, past president of the STSA and a great mentor to countless residents and students.
- Learn more and access the 2015 Brooks Medical Student Scholarship online application.
- Read about Xiaoying Lou’s experience attending the STSA 61st Annual Meeting as a Brooks Scholarship recipient.
General surgery and cardiothoracic surgery residents pursuing a career in cardiothoracic surgery can apply for the Resident Scholarship.
Scholarship recipients will receive:
- Round-trip, coach-class airfare to attend the 2015 STSA Annual Meeting in Lake Buena Vista, FL, November 5-8 and reimbursement for travel-related expenses;
- A three-night hotel stay at Disney’s Yacht Club Resort;
- A ticket to the President’s Mixer and Awards Dinner; and
- An assigned STSA mentor to assist in planning a schedule of educational programming, answering questions, and facilitating introductions.
An interested applicant must complete an online application, as well as submit a current CV, a letter of nomination from an STSA member, and a letter of support from his or her medical institution dean or program director confirming permission for the applicant to travel to the meeting in Florida.
Applications are due July 15. Applicants will be notified of the scholarship committee’s decision in early September. Contact STSA Headquarters with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800.685.7872.