The STSA Brooks Scholarship Committee is pleased to announce the following 2015 medical student and resident Scholarship recipients.
2015 STSA Brooks Scholarship Recipients:
- Bogdan Kindzelski, Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University
- Graham Ungerleider, Wake Forest School of Medicine
Bogdan was nominated by STSA member, Keith Horvath, MD. A 2014 Brooks Scholarship Finalist, Bogdan is currently a fourth year medical student, and his surgical areas of interest include adult cardiac surgery, transplant surgery, and aortic surgery.
Graham was nominated by STSA member and Past President, Ross Ungerleider, MD. He is currently in his third year of medical school and his surgical area of interest is congenital heart surgery.
2015 STSA Resident Scholarship Recipients:
- Erin Schumer, MD, MPH, University of Louisville
- Mansi Shah, MD, University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill
Dr. Schumer was nominated by STSA member, Mark Slaughter, MD. She is a PGY 5 general surgery resident interested in general thoracic surgery and transplant surgery.
Dr. Shah was nominated by STSA member, Benjamin Haithcock, MD. She is a PGY 5 general surgery resident interested in general thoracic surgery.
The Scholarship Committee also named the following 2015 Scholarship Finalists:
2015 STSA Brooks Scholarship Finalists:
- K. Candice Jones, Wake Forest School of Medicine
- Brendan Lovasik, Emory University School of Medicine
- Ryan Meyerhoff, Duke University School of Medicine
- Parth Patel, Indiana University School of Medicine
- Matthew Terwelp, University of Texas Medical School at Houston
2015 STSA Resident Scholarship Finalists:
- James Mehaffey, MD, University of Virginia
- Vivekkumar Patel, MD, Baylor College of Medicine
- Eden Payabyab, MD, Virginia Commonwealth University/National Institutes of Health
- William Ragalie, MD, Medical College of Wisconsin
- Walter Wakwe, MD, Emory University School of Medicine
- Judson Williams, MD, Duke University Medical Center
Thank you to everyone who applied or wrote a letter of nomination! Both Scholarship Programs will be offered again in 2016. The 2016 Scholarship application process will open in late-May 2016, and the deadline to apply will be July 15, 2016.
Introduce yourself to the 2015 Scholarship recipients during the STSA 62nd Annual Meeting. Scholarship recipients will have an orange scholar ribbon affixed to their name badge. Register for the STSA 62nd Annual Meeting, secure your tickets to the Annual Awards Dinner & Dance, and make hotel reservations at www.stsa.org/62ndannual.
Contact STSA Headquarters at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800.685.7872 with questions.