Brooks Scholarship Award
STSA has raised more than $50,000 to fund the STSA James W. Brooks Medical Student Scholarship. Thank you to everyone who has already donated! A special thanks to STSA member and Brooks Scholarship Fundraising Chair, Stephen C. Yang, MD.
About the Award
The STSA James W. Brooks Medical Student Scholarship seeks to identify and encourage medical students who are considering a career in cardiothoracic surgery. The Scholarship includes one round-trip, coach-class airfare to attend the STSA Annual Meeting; three nights’ hotel accommodation; tickets to attend the President’s Mixer and the Awards Dinner; and an assigned STSA mentor to assist in planning a schedule of educational programming, answer questions and facilitate introductions.
The criteria to apply for the scholarship are as follows:
- Applicants must be a rising second, third or fourth year medical student in good standing at a U.S. medical institution in the STSA region who displays general academic excellence and promise. Applicants training at a U.S. medical institution outside of the STSA region who obtain a letter of nomination from an STSA member will also be considered.
- Applicants must display a significant dedication to the field of cardiothoracic surgery.
- Applicants must demonstrate commitment through community service, education, and leadership.
The application process for the 2017 Brooks Scholarship will open in mid-2017.
Contact STSA Headquarters at email@example.com or 312.202.5892 with questions or concerns.
2016 STSA Brooks Scholarship Recipients
- Caitlin Brown, Oregon Health & Science Univeristy
- Andrew Percy, VCU School of Medicine/Medical College of Virginia
There were over 20 qualified candidates who applied for the 2016 Brooks Scholarship, and the STSA Scholarship Committee would like to recognize the following Finalists.
2016 STSA Brooks Scholarship Finalists
- Elaine Griffeth, K. Candice Jones, University of Oklahom College of Medicine
- Eric Jernigan, University of North Carolina School of Medicine
- Aakash Shah,University of Maryland School of Medicine
- Rohan Shah, Baylor College of Medicine
Thank you to everyone who applied or wrote a letter of recommendation!
Past STSA Brooks Scholarship Recipients
- 2010: Elizabeth Spradlin
- 2011: Carlo Bartoli
- 2012: Vernissia Tam
- 2013: Sahar Saddoughi
- 2014: Mickey Ising
- 2014: Xiaoying Lou
- 2015: Graham Ungerleider
- 2015: Bogdan Kindzelski
Past STSA Brooks Scholarship Finalists
- Tracy Geoffrion
- Joy Hughes
- Shahrzad Joharifard
- Smith Nathan
- Ace Ovil
- Stephen Spindel
- Poornima Yechoor
- Rebecca Gunter
- Robert Hawkins
- Alex Brescia
- Julie Doberne
- Mohamed Eldeiry
- Michael Hughes
- Mickey Ising
- Asishana Osho
- Aaron Roberts
- Lloyd Felmly
- Sameer Hirji
- Bogdan Kindzelski
- Parth Patel
- William Patrick
- K. Candice Jones
- Brendan Lovasik
- Ryan Meyerhoff
- Parth Patel
- Matthew Terwelp
- Elaine Griffeth
- Eric Jernigan
- Aakash Shah
- Rohan Shah