STSA Resident Scholarship
About the Award
The STSA Resident Scholarship was established in 2014 to sponsor a general or thoracic surgery resident to travel to the STSA Annual Meeting. The Scholarship includes one round-trip, coach-class airfare to attend the STSA Annual Meeting; three nights’ hotel accommodation; tickets to attend the President’s Mixer and the Awards Dinner; and an assigned STSA mentor to assist in planning a schedule of educational programming, answer questions and facilitate introductions.
The criteria to apply for the scholarship are as follows:
- Applicants must be general surgery or thoracic surgery residents in good standing at a U.S. medical institution in the STSA region who displays academic excellence and promise. Applicants training at a U.S. medical institution outside of the STSA region who obtain a letter of nomination from an STSA member will also be considered.
- Applicants must display a significant dedication to the field of cardiothoracic surgery.
- Applicants must demonstrate commitment through community service, education, and leadership.
The application process for the 2017 Resident Scholarship will open in mid-2017.
Contact STSA Headquarters at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312.202.5892 with questions or concerns.
2016 STSA Resident Scholarship Recipients
- Sameer Hirji, MD, Brigham & Women’s Hospital
- David Ranney, MD, Duke University
There were over 20 qualified candidates who applied for the Resident Scholarship in 2016, and the Committee would like to recognize the following Finalists.
2016 STSA Resident Scholarship Finalists
- Peter Chen, MD, Baylor College of Medicine/Texas Heart Institute
- Todd Crawford, MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Amelia Maiga, MD, Vanderbilt University
- Kunal Patel, MD, Medical University of South Carolina
- Duke Pfitzinger,MD, University of Kansas Medical Center
- Emily Reardon, MD, University of Maryland
Thank you to everyone who applied and wrote a letter of recommendation!
Past STSA Resident Scholarship Recipients
- 2014: Zachary Kon, MD
- 2015: Erin Schumer, MD, MPH
- 2015: Mansi Shah, MD
Past STSA Resident Scholarship Finalists
- Brett Broussand, MD
- Asvin Ganapathi, MD
- Pamela Samson, MD
- Terry Shih, MD
- Tom Theruvath, MD
- Brody Wehman, MD
- James Mehaffey, MD
- Vivekkumar Patel, MD
- Eden Payabyab, MD
- William Ragalie, MD
- Walter Wakwe, MD
- Judson Williams, MD
- Peter Chen
- Todd Crawford
- Amelia Maiga
- Kunal Patel
- Duke Pfitzinger
- Emily Reardon